Living abroad has its perks but it’s certainly lacking in real South African flavour. It’s particularly hard when the land you’ve left behind is packed with unique delights that you won’t find anywhere else.
Apart from the scenic attractions in Cape Town, the Mother City offers so many things that residents take for granted. Here’s a reminder:
Things to miss about Cape Town
People who’ve relocated to the Northern hemisphere list these things as the biggest pain points when they think of home:
- Long, lazy summer days where the sun only sets late in the evening
- Wide open spaces and sea views for days
- Sundays spent lazing on the beach
- Hikes and parks right in your back yard
- Nature, birdlife, and wild animals within 20 minutes’ drive
- Mild winters with little more than driving rain to make life uncomfortable
Those who’ve headed south have a better time weather-wise, but Australia and New Zealand fall short when it comes to the things they took for granted in South Africa:
- The Sea Point Promenade for lazy walks and chats with fellow strollers
- The V&A Waterfront for anything and everything
- A sense of community in every suburb
- South African wine straight from the source
- A long list of local foods like vetkoek, samosas, akni, boerewors and bunny chows
- Watching the sun set behind Lion’s Head
- The constant reassurance of Table Mountain as a point of reference
- Amazing food, artisan eats, and local goods at low, low, prices
- Colourful language and diverse people
There’s no doubt that Cape Town offers plenty of unique features that can’t be matched anywhere in the world.
Memories of the Mother City seem more colourful, dynamic, and comforting in retrospect but there’s no reason to leave all that in the past. Plan a return visit as soon as you can, we’re waiting to welcome you back.
Plan Your Trip Down Memory Lane
One way to ease the pain of longing is to make plans to return as soon as you can. We offer a host of luxurious self-catering apartments and homes that’ll put you right in the heart of all the best attractions of Cape Town.
Book now and soothe your restless spirit once and for all.